Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Letting Go

Last week I had the privilege of joining the staff of my local church in a day of retreat. It was an honor to be included in the session, and I learned a lot about myself in the process. The session was led by an amazing leader and author, Tim Durkin. He said many many things that got my mind and heart stirred up!

Among them, one of the things that stuck with me was the concept of not adding things to my "To-Do" list, but instead beginning a "Let-Go" list. He talked of the concept of wood carvings - a process of subtracting, rather than adding, to create a beautiful masterpiece.

Later that evening as I thought about our retreat, it suddenly hit me (like one of those 2x4's that God likes to hit us with every now and then) that perhaps I need to "let go" of my in-laws. What? Really? It was like a huge weight instantly lifted itself off my shoulders...

Why have I been pressuring myself to help them change their perspectives on God and life? How arrogant of me... I can't do that! Only God can do that. And I'm afraid that in the midst of this pressuring myself, it's entirely possible that I've unintentionally pushed them the opposite direction.

I so grateful that I am now free from the bondage of pressuring myself to be a perfect example, to be a perfect disciple, to say the perfect words at the perfect time. I am now free to be myself, to love others for the people they are... what an amazing feeling!

Today I got to put this to use... I had the pleasure of visiting with my brother over lunch. He is a little younger than me and has a mental illness. In the past, I have not been very close to him. I've made great efforts to say things to him that might encourage him to grow in relationship with God, but I've not spent much time with him. But today it was on my heart to go visit him, and I am grateful that I did.

Before I went inside I prayed that God would bless our time together, and He truly did. My brother and I had one of the very best conversations we've ever had. I know that the reason is because of what I stated previously... I was no longer pressuring myself to say what I thought I should say to him. Instead, I genuinely enjoyed my time with him, loving him for the person he is right now.

Thank you, Lord, for opening my eyes. Thank You for revealing to me this truth. Thank You that your yoke is easy and your burden is light!

1 comment: