I have been addicted to approval from others all my life, but especially from my mom.
I remember times when I was younger when mom and I would have an argument, and it would completely ruin my day. I didn't feel right again until I had talked to her and apologized for whatever it was I had done (or didn't do), and had once again regained her approval.
Since becoming a mom myself, I have begun to care less about what my mom thinks. But I still relaps from time to time. This is such a hard thing, because mom and I have always been very close. I've always been able to tell her everything, something for which I am extremely thankful!
Growing up means not telling mom everything. I now have to make wise decisions about what I can and can't talk to my mom about.
I have learned that I cannot talk to my mother about these things...
- issues concerning my in-laws
- my relationships with my husband
- things my husband does that bug me
The first one I have nailed down now, and have actually had a conversation letting mom know that I will not talk to her about these things. The second two I am still working on. It will take a lot of prayer and constant effort to train myself to not talk to my mom about these things.
You are taking a giant first step! Way to go. And your friends are always there for these types of things if you feel comfortable enough with them.
ReplyDeleteWow. Great work you're doing here.
ReplyDelete(oh, wait, I just gave you approval....but not because you were seeking it, okay? I promise! yes, I'm silly...)
Go girl - or should I say Grow girl! because you certainly are!
ReplyDelete