We... well, I have been doing Financial Peace University through our church. Dave Ramsey is AWESOME. He teaches the most basic lessons on managing money, and yet so many of us are absolutely terrible at this stuff! Our society teaches that it's actually a good thing to have debt... amazing how well they've tricked us all into believing the lies.
Anyway, we're in week 8 now, and have been making some pretty great progress with our personal financial situation. (Even though hubby has only joined me for one class, he's pretty much on board with the goals.) I have created a cash flow plan (budget), and it's really helped to shed some light on the way we've been spending our money...
Here's just one small example - I calculated that in the few months before we started this class, we were spending anywhere from $700-900 a month on food (restaurants & groceries). Now that we're actually using cash (the envelope system) to pay for these things, we spend no more than $500 a month on food! ... wow, $200-400 a month... that adds up FAST!
There are a few worries here, like getting my husband to join me in this envelope system thing - he keeps using his debit card for fast food, and that's not way it's supposed to work!
...but mostly I'm excited about the process of beginning to get a handle on this money thing! This class has been a HUGE blessing to me...
Go to www.daveramsey.com if you want to look into a class near you! And I promise I'm not getting paid to put this plug here - I'm just REALLY passionate about this! :)
Nearly New Year Friday Five
14 years ago
No comments:
Post a Comment