Over the past few weeks, hubby and I have started trying a new process... Each Sunday we come up with a meal plan for the week... I had heard of this idea before and thought "I'm not that disciplined. There's no way I'll ever be able to stick to something like that..."
But I must say, after trying it for a few weeks, it has been extremely helpful! I used to always dread that inevitable question when talking to my hubby on the way home from work... "Baby, what's for dinner????" Now I have this new found freedom, because every evening (well, most evenings anyway - we're not perfect, and not even going to try to be) I know what we're having for dinner!
The other cool thing is that because we plan ahead a little bit, we're able to make some really yummy and different things! In the past our menu typically consisted of only those things that are easy to pull together at the last minute (you know, like sloppy joes, chicken sandwiches using frozen breaded breasts from Sams, frozen pizza... that kind of stuff).
Recently we've had exciting things like Chicken Fried Venison with seasoned pan-fried potatoes, Carribean Jerk Pork Chops with cheddar broccoli, Bacon-wrapped stuffed Venison round steak, Fried Crappie with fried okra and onion rings from scratch... I'm talking some really good stuff!
Nearly New Year Friday Five
14 years ago
Okay, so tell me how you have went about this discipline. I mostly buy things I don't have to cook because I am one person, and I haven't figured out how it is cost effective to buy stuff to make meals since nothing really sells in single servings. You are my hero with this because you are learning some good discipline. So, I'd like to know how you did it because I am really tired of salads and sandwiches all the time.
ReplyDeleteWoohoo for you. As the princess gets older and your calendar gets more complicated, this also helps with figuring out who's going to be home to cook and who's going to be home to eat it! If you get cooking ideas that don't involve venison or crappie please share. Even with menu planning we still get stuck in food ruts.
ReplyDeleteWow, that sounds like it's making a wonderful difference!
ReplyDelete