Monday, April 27, 2009

Procrastination & ADHD

We have our big meeting coming up in 2 weeks for work... holy cow, I can't believe it's that close! I'm amazed at how these things sneak up on me... as if I haven't known it's been coming since I started this job back 8 months ago... Working for the church, we have everything planned out in for-year cycles, so I know these things are coming... Twice a year we have a big meeting, of which I am responsible of many of the details such as communications, creating and printing materials, shipping items to the hotel, etc. Fortunately I don't have to arrange all of the travel & accommodations for our members, but I do have to double check to make sure all members have their accommodations arranged.

I've learned this procrastination thing is a very common trait of ADHD, which I was recently diagnosed with. Funny how having that diagnosis is kind of helpful (because it gives it a name) but yet it doesn't really help the struggle with it!

Medication -
I tried Vyvanse first, but it didn't work well for me... Not only did it not really help me focus, I couldn't sleep while I was taking it! Not a good thing for a working mother of a toddler not to be able to sleep!

I am now on Focalin, which seems to be working fairly well. I'm not sure it's the best solution yet, but I'm hoping to use this blog as a tool to be able to look back and see progress or not, whichever the case may be...

Prayer for today:
Lord, thank you for the work you have called me to do, for the talents you have given me to complete this work. I am so grateful for all of the blessings you have bestowed upon me and my family. Please watch over me today and guide my hands, so that the work I do might glorify you. Help me to focus on the "Big Rocks" that need to be done this day, so that this upcoming meeting will be well organized and run smoothly.... not to glorify myself, but for the sake of aiding the work that these committee members will do at this meeting, to further your kingdom through the United Methodist Church. Amen.

2 comments:

  1. Since you know we both have the same thing,I feel you about the procrastination. At the last minute I made the medication list for my pre-op visit even though I have known about this visit for two weeks. Got a cool Bugs Bunny band aid from the pre-op nurse though.

    Praying for you and your meeting and your Rocks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Can't blame my procrastination on ADHD - just bad habits. I know it will all be cool. Hope identifying big rocks helps.

    ReplyDelete